Saturday, February 19, 2011

Kate Allan answers "5 Little Questions"


Kate Allan is joint author of "The Lady Soldier" with Michelle Styles. Here she answers our "5 Little Questions".


Kate, how did you choose that title?

Michelle and I wanted something dramatic that really said what the
book was about and kicked about all sorts of ideas but the one that
seemed to grab the most attention was
The Lady Soldier. People don't
expect ladies to be soldiers so they're immediately intrigued.

What changes - if any - do you think will happen to romance writing
in the 21st century?

I'm hoping with the ebook revolution more romance will be available
wherever you are in the world. UK readers have ended up having to
import US paperbacks in genres they want to read because UK publishers
just don't publish enough romance.

So you've got a launch title out with Embrace. What's next on your agenda?

I've nearly finished my current work-in-progress which is a short
novel and then I plan to go back to a longer novel I have been working
on for a while.

Any tips for newbie writers?

Don't be afraid to write the book you want to read. That's all I do
and then it's fingers crossed other people might like it too.

Where do you get your inspiration?

From books mostly, and real life. However, there's one scene in The
Lady Soldier
involving dramatic use of gunpowder for which my
inspiration came primarily from an episode of Hornblower. Seeing how
drama and suspense works in film or television and trying to apply it
to your novel can be a great tool.

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Kate! It's a really intriguing topic, the lady soldier, and I agree that your title is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if the formatting isn't right on some of these posts. Haven't quite got the hang of updating via iPhone on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting answers. I like to read books that don't follow a pattern. It's fun to travel the way with the author and see if it satisfies me. The Lady Soldier sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree with She, Kate. The Lady Soldier sounds fascinating. Best of luck with it's release!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As well as the title, I think it's a fantastic cover too. Muted, yet evocative. I hope the book goes down a storm!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the Embrace Books blog! We're all about romance here and popular women's fiction, so come and join in the fun.